Please read all of the following – as each year the committee is forced to disqualify some students who have not met the requirements.
DATES AND DEADLINES – IMPORTANT
This application must be completed and submitted online no later than midnight on November 15th
Final Auditions: TBD
Final Interviews: TBD
Each applicant must complete this application online by November 15th. If you are not able to submit the application online, there is an option (viewable at the end of the application) to print out the application and submit it by US mail. This must still meet the November 15th (postmark) deadline. This INCLUDES the audio recording.
It is required that ECMEA receive letters of recommendation from the Applicant’s SCHOOL Music Teacher AND School Counselor or Building Principal. Each of these forms must be delivered to the school personnel well in advance of the November 15th (postmark) deadline. It is the responsibility of the student to check in with the teacher and Counselor/Principal to ensure that the recommendation letters are mailed with a postmark of no later than November 15th.
Click HERE to print out APPLICATION PART B – to hand deliver to your Music Director.
Click HERE to print out APPLICATION PART C – to hand deliver to your School Counselor or Building Principal.
You must upload recent audio recording(s) of your playing – up to 3 selections – NOT TO EXCEED 15 MINUTES. While the recordings do not need to be a specific length, a total 6 to 10 minutes is sufficient. PLEASE… you must have accompaniment. ACCOMPANIMENT IS REQUIRED, except works specified ‘unaccompanied’. This includes JAZZ applications. It is recommended that your selections represent you and your musicianship. Use of the 6-15 minutes is critical. Contrasting selections (or movements) often show more than one long movement. The priliminary screening committee is NOT the same committee that will hear you should you be invited to the final auditions.
Note: You upload the audio recordings using the online application form on the lower part of this page. IF YOU HAVE DIFFICULTY SUBMITTING YOUR AUDIO FILE(S) YOU MAY EMAIL THEM TO SCHOLARSHIP@ECMEA.ORG BY MIDNIGHT 11/15.
Printing, Delivering and Confirming Application
Once the STUDENT APPLICATION is complete and you have clicked the ‘Submit’ button at the bottom of this page, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PRINTED OUT THE SCHOOL PERSONNEL RECOMMENDATION FORMS AND HAVE DELIVERED THEM TO THE APPROPRIATE PEOPLE. After successfully submitting your application, you will be directed to a CONFIRMATION PAGE. You may choose to PRINT A COPY OF THE PAGE to save for your records.
Committees specializing in each performance area will choose semi-finalists who will be asked to give an in-person audition before the ECMEA Scholarship Committee at the live auditions.
Semi-finalists’ in-person auditions are eight (8) minutes in length. Performances should be planned accordingly so as not to exceed the allotted time. Also, the audition should be considered a recital performance with the proper dress, acknowledgement of the accompanist, audience, etc. Again… bring your accompanist, as accompaniment is required. This includes appropriate accompaniment for a JAZZ performance.
Appearance before Scholarship Committee
If the applicant is successful in passing the in person audition, he/she may be asked to appear before the Scholarship Committee for an interview on an additional date, specified on the website. At this time, the committee urges each student to present musical ability other than that displayed at the audition (minor instruments, keyboard ability, compositions, etc.).
ANY PERFORMANCE AT THE INTERVIEW SHOULD NOT EXCEED 2 MINUTES.
Minimum Requirements for Applicants
- Seniors who will enroll in a 4 year program at a univesity/college as a music major of any type are eligible.
- Applicant must be a registered senior at their high school on the dates of all procedural events and enrolled as members of their own school’s music organization(s).
- Applicant’s sponsoring school director must be a member of ECMEA and NYSSMA during the current school year.
- Applicants must have performed in an ECMEA All County group in 10th and 11th grade OR must participate as seniors (this applies to keyboard and guitar applicants as well).
- Piano accompaniments are required excepting solo concert literature.
- DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF THIS COMPLETED FORM IS MIDNIGHT, NOVEMBER 15. NO EXCEPTIONS. INCLUDING AUDIO FILES IF EMAILED SEPARATELY TO SCHOLARSHIP@ECMEA.ORG
- DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF PERSONAL RECOMMENDATIONS (2) IS NOVEMBER 15 (postmark). NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Applicants will be notified at home as to all commitments, decisions and final awards.
- ANY QUESTIONS SHOULD BE FORWARDED BY THE SCHOOL MUSIC TEACHER TO: email@example.com